Cat & Dog Adoption Process
Thank you for your interest in rescuing from us! Midwest Animal Hospital works hard to vet these animals and treat them as our own until they find their forever home. The majority of our animals come from the police station found as strays and are not claimed. They also come to us without a history of health or previous owners. We attempt to identify the breeds, ages and sizes of the animals we take in, but it is not a guarantee.
Cat & Dog Adoption Requirements
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must provide documents that specify your pet(s) are up to date on required immunizations/required tests*. If you don’t have these documents we can call your veterinarian to get this information.
- All currently-owned dogs/cats must be spayed or neutered. This is a non-negotiable requirement.
- All members of the family must meet the pet before adoption.
*Required immunizations/tests for dogs are Rabies, DHPP, and heartworm testing within the last year. Required immunizations/test for cats are Rabies, FVRCP, and FELV/FIV testing within the last year.
Each Adoption Includes:
- Spay/neuter surgery
- Vaccination/tests current to the date of adoption*
- Canine Influenza- H3N2 & H3N8 (dogs)
- Canine Distemper with Lepto – DHLPP (dogs)
- Feline Distemper- FVRCP (cats)
- Fecal test
- Heartworm test (dogs)
- FELV/FIV Snap test (cats)
- Up to date on flea and heartworm prevention
*Boosters required for pets post-adoption are the responsibility of the owner.
- Once you have decided on meeting a pet, you will be asked to fill out an application that you can pick up at the hospital or download at the bottom of this page.
- Once all the humans in your household have met the pet, the adoption application can be approved (this may take several days or immediately depending on if more information is needed).
- If there are any other dogs in the home, these pets will first need to meet the adoptable dog to ensure they will get along. We typically do not do meet-and-greets for cats due to cats being anxious outside of their home environment, but they can be done upon request.